2. Information We Collect
(a) Information you may provide
- Through the registration process, you will provide us with your name, email address (or parent's email address), and age or date of birth.
- You will also provide us with your payment transaction information if you choose to pay for Garbanzo services.
- We may retain records and copies of your correspondence, if you contact us.
When you use the Service, we will generate data about your use of the Service including your engagement in educational activities on the Service, such as the completion of lesson plans and accrual of points relating to the completion of lessons (“Activity Dat”). We also collect technical data about how you interact with our Service; for more information, see Cookies.
(c) Third Party Data
We do not collect information about you from third parties.
3. Product Research and Development
We may contact you to participate in product research activities. These may include surveys, interviews, and other types of feedback sessions. When you participate in these research activities, the information you provide will be used to test, improve, and develop our products. We will record the text of this feedback together with any additional contact information you provide and will retain this data for two years.
Please contact us at email@example.com to:
- Request more information about the research activities you have volunteered for.
- Opt out of being contacted for research activities.
- Request a copy of any research related data you have provided to us.
When you enter the Website, we collect your browser type and your IP address (a unique address that identifies your computer on the Internet).
You can find more information about cookies and how to manage them at http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
5. Information Obtained by Third Parties
We use Google Analytics which is a web analytics tool that helps us understand how users engage with the Website. Like many services, Google Analytics uses first-party cookies to track user interactions as in our case, where they are used to collect information about how users use our site. This information is used to compile reports and to help us improve our Website. The reports disclose website trends without identifying individual visitors. You can opt out of Google Analytics without affecting how you visit our site — for more information on opting out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites you use, visit this Google page: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
6. Use of information obtained by Garbanzo
We use personal data collected through the Service, including Activity Data to present our Website to you and provide you the Service. As a business, it is critical that we provide you with the best service possible, and it is in our legitimate interests to perform these processing functions and to enable service emails by default to keep your data secure and provide our Service. You may opt out of any non-essential service emails at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Garbanzo may also occasionally send you service related and product change announcements through the general operation of the Service. We will send you reminder notifications to support the Garbanzo teaching methodology. We process your data to help provide you with the Service and offer personalized features, to understand and improve our Service and to keep our Service safe and secure.
We may also use your contact information to send you notifications regarding new services, offers and promotions offered by Garbanzo unless you notify us by emailing email@example.com that you do not wish to receive such communications.
Profile information is used by Garbanzo to be presented back to and edited by you when you access the Service. Garbanzo uses this information to provide you with support, to send you essential notifications, to enforce our terms, conditions and policies, to communicate with you, to administer the Service, and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, research, statistical, and survey purposes. Garbanzo's Terms and Conditions provide the contractual lawful basis for these processing activities.
7. Sharing your personal data with third parties
Garbanzo shares your personal data only when it is necessary to offer the Service (including to our affiliates, and service providers), legally required, or permitted by you. In the event of the sale of Garbanzo or its assets or a merger involving Garbanzo, we may disclose your information to the acquirer or other merging party. We do not sell your personal data to any third parties.
We may provide personal data to hosting providers such as Amazon Web Services, search engine providers such as Google, analytics providers such as Crashlytics, and support providers such as ZenDesk.
These data processors help us bring you the Service. For example, we may share your information in order to detect where or how you encountered a bug when using our mobile application. In connection with these operations, our service providers will have access to personal data for a limited time. When we utilize service providers for processing any personal data, we implement contractual protections limiting the use of that personal data to the provision of services to Garbanzo.
We will be required to access and disclose personal data in response to lawful requests, such as subpoenas or court orders, or in compliance with applicable laws. Additionally, we will access and share account or other personal data when we believe it is necessary to comply with law, to protect our interests or property, to prevent fraud or other illegal activity perpetrated through the Service or using the Garbanzo name, or to prevent imminent harm. This will include accessing and sharing personal data with other companies, lawyers, agents or government agencies.
If the ownership of all or substantially all of the Garbanzo business, or individual business units or assets owned by Garbanzo that are related to the Service, changes, your personal data will be transferred to the new owner. In any such transfer of information, your personal data would remain subject to this section.
Garbanzo will share aggregate or anonymous data collected through the Service, including Activity Data, for purposes such as understanding or improving the service.
8. Data subject protections and data retention
All data is transferred over HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure). Passwords are salted and stored encrypted at rest. The application itself is behind multiple firewalls and access to databases is closely restricted and monitored. We use multiple tools to monitor the health of the application and alert us to suspicious activity.
We have never had a data breach but in the event one occurs, we will notify affected customers as quickly as possible (and in accordance with any and all applicable laws or regulations) once we've determined the scope of the breach and have restored the integrity of the application.
You can manage your account settings at https://garbanzo.io/signin to update, amend, and correct your information.
We will also endeavor to provide you with the following rights, unless provided otherwise by local law:
- To request access to, or erasure of, the personal data we hold about you.
- To request us to restrict the processing of the personal data we hold about you.
- To object to us processing personal data relating to you.
- Where you have given us consent to process your personal data, you may withdraw that consent at any time.
- To export the personal data you have provided to Garbanzo in a format that can be transferred electronically to a third party.
- To delete your account with Garbanzo by following the instructions available through the Service.
To make a request with respect to the foregoing, users should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Garbanzo will retain your data until your account is deleted, after which point we will retain anonymous data collected through the Service, including Activity Data, which may be used by Garbanzo and shared with third parties in any manner.
Please note that some of these rights are not absolute. In some cases, we may refuse a request to exercise particular rights if complying with it means that we are no longer able to meet our contractual obligation to provide you with particular products and services. We will keep you informed as to the actions that we can take when you make your request.
9. Third party websites and links
10. Website for individuals in the United States Only
This Website and the Service are intended for individuals located in the United States only.
11. Children under age of 13
Garbanzo provides some features and services intended for use by children. The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 and its rules require us to inform parents and legal guardians (as used in this section “parents”) about our practices for collecting, using, and disclosing personal information from children under the age of 13 (“children”). It also requires us to obtain verifiable consent from a child's parent for certain collection, use, and disclosure of the child's personal information. Children aged 13 years or younger must provide a parent's email address, and Garbanzo will only permit use of the Service when it has received parental consent as described further below.
This section notifies parents of any deviations from Garbanzo's general privacy policies with respect to children relating to the following:
- The types of information we may collect from children.
- How we use the information we collect.
- Our practices for disclosing that information.
- Our practices for notifying and obtaining parents' consent when we collect personal information from children, including how a parent may revoke consent.
- All parties that collect or maintain information from children through this Service.
Upon registration the child will provide a parent's email address, to whom Garbanzo will send a notification. Garbanzo will not complete the registration of a child until it has received email permission from the parent and sent the parent a confirmation email.
Garbanzo uses age-gating to restrict what services are available to children. Children will receive the following service restrictions:
- Instead of storing a child's email address, we will only store the email address of his or her parent.
- To the extent that Garbanzo establishes any ability for some users to post information publicly or to other users of the Garbanzo community, such as in a chat room, children will be prevented from posting.
- To the extent that Garbanzo allows some users to contact each other via email, children will be not be assisted in sending or receiving email.
- Children will not be presented with links to other websites.
At the point when the user is known to have reached the age of 13, the account will automatically be transitioned to be a normal non-restricted account.
At any time, you may review the child's personal information maintained by us, require us to correct or delete the personal information, and/or refuse to permit us from further collecting or using the child's information.
You can review, change, or delete your child's personal information by:
- Logging into your child's student account and visiting his or her account profile page.
- Sending us an email at email@example.com. To protect your privacy and security, we may require you to take certain steps or provide additional information to verify your identity before we provide any information or make corrections.
12. Information security
Garbanzo has implemented administrative and technical safeguards it believes are appropriate to protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of your personal data and access credentials. However, given sufficient resources, a determined attacker could defeat those safeguards and may, as a result, gain access to the data we seek to protect. In the event a malicious attack is successful and user data is affected, we will immediately notify all affected customers.
13. Do Not Track
The Service is not designed to respond to “do not track” signals sent by some browsers.
14. Contact Us
Garbanzo's headquarters are located at:
PO Box 512
Charlotte, VT 05445
United States of America
Last revised on July 28, 2021.